Gingery Chicken and Spinach Soup
Here is another recipe of chicken soup. Hope you enjoy it 🙂 .
1 piece (1/2 inch long) fresh ginger or 3/4 tsp ground
1 tblsp Oriental Sesame oil [you can substitute vegetable oil, but I think the sesame is crucial]
6 cups chicken broth or water
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast
1/2 bunch scallions or 1 small bunch coriander
2 cups vermicelli, fine egg noodles, orzo or pastina
3-4 tblsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
toasted sesame seeds
1. Finely chop the onion. Peel and mince ginger.
2. Heat sesame oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and ginger [and garlic], increase heat to high and saute for a few seconds to release aroma. Add the broth and frozen spinach. Cover the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until spinach is thawed (10 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into thin shreds or 3/4 inch chunks.
Slice the scallions, including about four inches of the green tops (or
rinse, stem and mince coriander).
4. When the spinach has thawed, stir the soup, then add the chicken and noodles. Cover and simmer until the noodles and chicken are cooked (5 minutes). Add the scallions (or coriander) and the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve immediately, passing the toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling over each portion.